Thursday, April 7, 2011

Accepted!

After nearly 9 months of applying to medical school, my spirits were pretty beaten down about this application cycle. I spent over $5,000 on applications and interviews and was left in the dark by most schools. While I am very happy with my year off and was ok with spending another year working, I couldn't fathom the possibility of having to re-take the MCAT and paying another $5,000 on applications.

For those of you who don't know, my boyfriend S is a second year at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (CHM). After spending the last two years in a long distance relationship, I would have given an arm or leg to get accepted anywhere close to him.

When I received an invitation to interview at CHM, I was completely shocked. Although I knew it was still a long shot to get accepted even after an interview, I was amazed that I had been selected to go this far. At interview day, I was completely blown away by the faculty and students. I felt like the staff genuinely cared about their students success (more so than other schools I interviewed at) and I became even more eager to attend.

A short two weeks after my interview at CHM, I received a life-changing phone call. It was from Dr. Mowry, the Assistant Dean of Admissions at Michigan State. He called to congratulate me on my acceptance to medical school! I was in such shock but immediately called my mom and S. With lots of happy screams, I knew that I had finally done it. I was on my way to getting it all.

Some people think that you have to choose between love and a dream career. I have often caught myself believing in this as well. But, now that I have been accepted to my dream medical program and can relocate closer to my love, I hope I will prove that you can in fact have it all. :)

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read about your adventures! Congrats Cheese. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was juuuuust about to tell you that you should start a blog! Following you and can't wait for all of your med school adventures to begin!

    P.S. I love that our blogs are "doctortanya" and "doctorkailyne"

    ReplyDelete