Sunday, April 24, 2011

"The Pact"

The Pact 


This past week, I started and finished "The Pact," a book by Jodi Picoult. The story is about a teenage boy and girl (Chris Harte and Emily Gould) who have grown up together and fell in love. They were best friends from birth (Chris Harte, who was 3 months older than Emily, actually was in the delivery room during Emily's birth). Everyone around them thought they were the perfect couple--both great students and both with promising futures. However, Emily was severly depressed and decided to take her own life. Chris didn't know what to do, but tried to convince her that killing herself was not the only to solve her problems. Chris failed and Emily wound up dead. Since Chris and Emily were the only two people at the location of her death, despite his story about her being suicidal, Chris was arrested and had to wait out a trial to determine if he would be found guilty of first degree murder of his beloved Emily Gould. I wont talk about the ending or give too many specifics, in case anyone else wants to read the book, but I'll just say there is lots of twists and turns that made me easily finish this 500 page book within a week's time!


My friend Natalya and I have decided to start a Jodi Picoult book club, since she has been a J.P. reader for many years now. I am not sure what my next book will be quite yet, but I am thinking either "Nineteen Minutes" or "Change of Heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment