Friday, December 7, 2012

Suture Clinic

Last week, I went to a skills lab offered by the Emergency Medicine Interest Group to learn how to suture! Even though I don't really think I will be going in to Emergency Medicine, every doctor needs to know how to suture... So, I was really excited to learn this skill.

We worked 3:1 (3 students:1 emergency medicine resident) on our suturing skills and learned several different types of knots. These sutures included a simple knot, a two-layer suture, a horizontal mattress, a vertical mattress, and a running stitch!





My first suture: Simple Stitch


Horizontal Matress and Vertical Mattress

2-layer suture (used dissolvable layer underneath)

Running Suture



I had a really great time and learned a lot...Suturing was definitely not as hard as I thought it would be, but I guess thats because I was suturing on a pig's foot and not a little kid thats moving around while I'm trying to sew...

No comments:

Post a Comment