Thursday, December 20, 2012

Finals Week

Another semester down! Only 1 more semester until 1) I am done with pre-clinicals and 2) I have to take boards. Its absolutely crazy how quickly this last semester went and I know that next semester will be the same, if not even faster!

This last round of final exams was much different than those of M1 for a few reasons. First, the M2 year is based on block exams (meaning we have a final exam every 2-4 weeks) and we only have 1 main class at a time. So, while all of our grades are based on a 100% final exam for each block, we at least have the opportunity to focus the majority of our time on studying for these domains. Second, I feel like I finally have a scientific background on subjects that allow me to dive right in to the material, instead of having to spend half the class understanding the basics. While I loved my major at UCLA, I think that coming from a non-science heavy major kind of put me at a disadvantage last year...fortunately, I think that having my M1 year under my belt, this disadvantage is over and the playing field is now even. Thirdly, the three final exams that we did have all happened to be some of my favorite courses: Clinical Skills, Epidemiology, and Psychology. So, while finals are always a little stressful...I felt more comfortable with these subjects than others that we have had in the past. Finally, our school put on an AMAZING and supportive finals week that was full of relaxing activities to help us poor med school students out. These activities included pet therapy (an afternoon playing with puppies), art therapy (art supplies out for a quick relaxing break of exercising our creativity), free chair massages (clearly amazing...I don't think this really needs an explanation), and lots and lots of free snacks/coffee.

Pet therapy! 
This semester ended wonderfully. My overall final average for the semester is my highest yet and I feel like I am finally getting the hang of this whole medical school thing. Lets just hope this confidence continues into next semester and into my board studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment