Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Success and Failure

It has been SO long since I have blogged. I knew I would be busy in medical school, but boy am I! My plan is to update this blog a lot over the next few days, to catch up with all that has happened over the last (almost) two months. So, I am going to start with the academics...

After my last blog post, I was just beginning my medical school classes and was just about to take my first round of exams...So, I guess I will start there. My first exam was Physiology...I am happy to state that I actually got a 100%. Thats right...100% on my first medical school exam. I was stoked, to say the least. The next week, I had my second exam: Biochemistry. My score: 95%! I felt invincible. I was obviously studying a lot, but I was so happy to see that my hard work was paying off. In undergrad, I often felt like my studies went un-noticed and, because of the curve, could not do well no matter how hard I worked. Here, I at least felt like my hard work was being recognized. Then, on the Monday of my fourth week of classes, I had my very first Anatomy Exam. Since I had done so well on the first two exams, I was expecting that this exam would go similarly. However, I was in for a surprise....I failed. Thats right, I failed. It was the first time I had ever failed in my life. I was crushed. I did not know what happened. I felt like that was the end of my medical career. I thought I would have to go speak to academic advisors and that they would make me extend into the class of 2016 or that I would be put on academic probation.  I obviously overreacted. In reality, I only needed to get 142 points. I got 141. So, I didn't fail that badly and, in retrospect, I think this may have been a blessing. It kicked me into the motivation that I needed. I have since developed the necessary drive and skills to succeed in my classes. I have continued to do well in my physiology class and have successfully passed (and did quite well) in my first class (Biochemistry)!! I have also since figured out that Anatomy needs to be the largest focus of my studies. Since this realization,  I have done quite well on my last few anatomy exams (last one = 93%) and now have quite a cushion for the rest of the semester. :)

When I first wanted to write a blog about medical school, I wasn't planning on including academics...especially not my specific grade points, but now that I am in school, I realize the importance of the struggles that I have faced. I know that I can not be perfect in school, but I work really hard and am very proud of myself for how well I am doing. If there are any current or future medical school students reading my blog, I hope that sharing my first failure provides a sort of  hope that just because sometimes you don't succeed academically, you can work through it and do well in the end!

As for now, I am officially half way through my first semester and absolutely loving it! I may study 15 hours a day, but I really enjoy what I am studying and have the best class-mates in the world. I know that I would not be nearly as happy with life right now if it wasn't for them and am so incredibly happy that I chose Michigan State for my medical school!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are enjoying med school. I really have no idea how hard it is, but I am sure it is. :) It was great running into your mom at Apple Hill the other day. She is so proud of you. :) I know you will succeed! Now get back to studying. LOL! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so happy!!! You definitely deserve all the awesome success you're having in med school right now. yay for good career/life choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I failed my first anatomy practical... luckily our anatomy exams are half practical and half multiple choice so I didn't fail the entire thing, but seeing that sub-passing score can be so disheartening. I completely understand! I just read all of your posts and it sounds like you are doing so wonderfully in med school! I'm so happy for you :)

    PS- I HATE scrubbing in... but I'm glad you like it, haha.

    ReplyDelete