Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Extracurriculars

In my last blog post, I talked about the Teddy Bear Clinic, but I have also gotten involved with a couple extracurricular activities that I thought worth mentioning.

Anyone who know me well, knows that I go CRAZY if I am not involved with extracurriculars. Ever since I was a little kid, I have always loved being busy with a lot of different activities. In undergrad, I was a little overly excited and got myself involved with a little too much. So, in medical school, I knew I would have to tune it down a little bit and focus myself on my academics, before thinking about getting involved with extra stuff.

Now that I have found a good balance, I have found myself involved with 4 things:

1) Teddy Bear Clinic
2) Student Council
3) Admissions Ambassador
4) Friendship Clinic.

If you want to hear about Teddy Bear Clinic, read my last blog! :)

Student Council: I was elected to a student council representative spot by my class. I am very excited for this role and am excited to be a voice for my class. As of now, the 10 of us elected to student council are just called "representatives." However,  in the next few weeks, we are electing President, Vice-President,  Secretary and Treasurer. I have not decided for sure, but I think that I would like to be Secretary. Stay tuned.

Admissions Ambassador: As part of the admissions process at MSU, the interviewees have one faculty interview and one student interview. Since I interviewed last winter, I thought that this was maybe something I would be interested in. So, when we received information about it towards the beginning of the semester, I attended the informational meeting and signed up. I actually am conducting my first interview tomorrow. I am kind of nervous, but I know that my interviewee is MUCH MUCH more nervous than I am. So, I am going to forgo my fears and hopefully put her at ease.

Friendship Clinic: This is another activity that I have been excited to do for quite sometime. It is basically a free student-run clinic for underserved populations in Lansing. S actually volunteered at this in his pre-clinical years, so I have heard good things about it. I was supposed to start volunteering last Saturday. Unfortunately, my paperwork to volunteer had to go through MSU and then through Ingham County Health Department before I could volunteer. I did not know this. So, when I turned in my paperwork on Thursday, I was sadly informed that it would not be processed in time for me to volunteer. I really hope that once it does get cleared, I can volunteer...and I hope its soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment