Thursday, September 8, 2011

Adjustment and DSGs

So I am now 8 days into class and I already feel like I'm getting the hang of this whole med-school thing. After the first few days, I was kind of overwhelmed, but I think I have already kind of figured out what works for me as far as studying goes and what types of things are great ways to relax. I have survived my first round of lab quizzes and my first Biochemistry quiz. I have built such an amazing family of friends here. I am feeling great about everything!

Besides my usual long day of classes and studying I have also joined two groups called "DSG"s. DSG stands for Directed Study Groups. We basically get small-group study time with professors or older students who have mastered the material. I signed up for a biochem DSG and the Anatomy DSG. I have only met once for each of these, so far, but they already seem incredibly helpful. We get a ton more work sheets, practice exam questions and time to communicate the material with people who actually know it well. Also, our Anatomy DSG means 3 extra hours in the cadaver lab with a much smaller group to go over everything from the week! I <3 all of the resources CHM give you. I now know why they have a 99% success rate...they make it hard for you not to find resources if you want them!

As far as my new found relaxation methods, 2 words: Hot Tub. My roommates and I have definitely utilized our hot tub quite a bit over the last few weeks. Whats super awesome about my hot tube is that the cement ground around the hot-tub is heated! So, even when its rediculously cold in the winter months, the hot tub will always be a steamy escape! Another thing I have found relaxing is, surprisingly, running. I never EVER was a runner and by no means would I classify myself as a runner now, but I ran a couple times last week and it really does feel great. When your mind is foggy and you are stressed, running and working out in general is a phenomenal way to clear your thoughts.


Lastly, as promised, here is edition #2 of my new blog section--->


Science Is Cool:
DPG & Hemoglobin: Basically the unloading of oxygen into your tissues is dependent on hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen. If hemoglobin has a high affinity, the oxygen will not unload; conversely, if the hemoglobin's affinity is low, it will unload the oxygen into tissues. So, when women are pregnant, the body has to come up with a way for the fetus to get oxygen. One of the body's solutions to this is a molecule called DPG, which binds to hemoglobin and lowers the affinity (meaning that it dumps the oxygen that is attached the the hemoglobin). DPG, however, is present much more in adults than in fetuses. So, the hemoglobin in adults favors the dumping of oxygen, while the fetal hemeglobin maintains a high oxygen affinity. As a result, the oxygen is taken from the adult hemoglobin and given to the fetus.

No comments:

Post a Comment