Saturday, June 15, 2013

Step 1 - Complete!

I did it...I took step 1! I can't believe thats its over. It seems like a dream and that I am really going to have to wake up tomorrow morning and have to take it for real! Thank god thats not true.

Now, I have a LONGGGGG 3-4 weeks until I found out 1) if i passed and 2) what my score is. So, in one sense, I want these next few weeks to fly by...but on the other hand, I only have 2 weeks off until I start 3rd year and I want to make them last as long as possible...

My impression of the exam:
When I was taking it, I thought it was going okay. There were several that I knew right away. There were several that took me a while, but I eventually I came to the right answer. And then there were few that I was totally and completely clueless about. Nonetheless, walking out after the 322 questions, I felt fairly confident. I thought maybe I could possibly pass and maybe do possibly ok? Hopefully? But, naturally, I started freaking myself out by going on different med school forum websites entitled "failing step 1" and now I have convinced myself I failed.

I know the odds are in my favor. Our school gives us a breakdown of how students do with similar grades as us. For my Block I-Block II averages, the absolute lowest score someone has gotten over the past 5 years was a 214 (which is actually 25 points above passing). Also, I know that with my practice tests, I would have to drop 50 points to fail. So, I keep trying to logically convince myself to stop freaking out and enjoy my time off, instead of worrying about the unlikely possibility that I failed. Sigh.

At least I have something to look forward, tomorrow S and I are going to HAWAII!!!! It will be a short trip, only 5 days because S starts orientation for residency on Friday, but we will have a glorious 4 nights in Oahu. We have lots of fun things planned including SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS (one thing on my bucket list), a hike up to a crater, and a luau! And of course, lots of time laying in the sand on the beach doing nothing. I'm so freaking excited.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun in Hawaii!!! where are you going swimming with dolphins? sea life park or dolphin quest!? :)

    ReplyDelete