Sunday, September 4, 2011

First Week of Classes

This last week was my first week of medical school classes. I was expecting to learn a lot quickly, but boy did they hit us hard fast! I don't think I have ever learned so much in a week than I did this first week of medical school and I am sure it is only going to get more intense as we go on! Basically, the structure of every day is lecture in the morning, followed by labs and small groups in the afternoon. Even though I had all of nights free, I was definitely a busy bee studying right away. We have access to our main study building (The Radiology Building) 24/7, so I have stayed there past midnight almost every night. I understand how sleep deprivation is a problem for medical students, but I really don't have any complaints. I am so happy with what I am doing. I love all of my classes and have great professors! :)

My favorite thing so far has been the Anatomy Lab! I was pretty terrified that the cadaver lab would freak me out or would make me sick, but I didn't have a problem at all! When I was in 8th grade, I got really sick and left school early because of a squid-dissection lab, so I'm sure glad that didn't happen again!  I have been to the cadaver lab 4 times already because I really think it is the best way to learn. Its difficult to understand all of the anatomy in a textbook or atlas, but when we have the opportunity to work with real human bodies and touch the structures, things definitely sink in a lot better. The human body is so fascinating!

Lastly, I am hoping to institute one new aspect of my blog, as much as I possibly can, called "Science is Cool!" I learn so many awesome things about the human body each day, so I thought I would pick a few things I think are cool to share! I hope those science nerds out there who read my blog appreciate this new addition. So, here we go....

Science is Cool:

1) Langer's Lines: Collagen and Elastin fibers in the dermis (second layer of skin) orient themselves in parallel lines based off of tension and mechanical stress. This creates natural lines of cleavage. So, if surgeons follow these lines, rather than cutting in places that orient themselves more perpendicularly, this will reduce scarring and will allow for quicker healing! -- I thought that was pretty awesome.

2) The Intervertebral Disc Joint is composed of two types of material: Annulus fibrosus (a dense, fibrous part) and Nucleus Pulosus (A jelly-like cartilage suspended in water). Since the Nuclus Pulosus is 70% water, compressive forces like gravity squeeze water out of the IVDs and reduce your overall body height at the end of the day. So, this is why commuters have to adjust their rear-view mirron in the morning and then again in the evening, because we have actually shrunk. We gain our normal height throughout the night while we sleep.

1 comment: