Monday, August 6, 2012

PBL/Block II

So, I have officially finished my M1 year and am now a SECOND YEAR med student! It is pretty dang crazy how fast my first year went... and its even crazier that in less than 11 months, I will be (hopefully) done with my Step 1 board exams and be in the hospital for the rest of my medical education! Nuts!

For now, here is a peak at what is in store for me next year as a Block II student.

My class load for Fall Semester: 

1) Neurology - 3 credits
2) Infectious Diseases/Immunology - 3 credits
3) Musculoskeletal - 2 credits
4) Hematology/Neoplasia - 4 credits
5) Disorders of Thought/Emotion/Behavior - 4 credits
6) Clinical Skills - 2 credits
7) Medical Ethics - 1 credit
8) Biostats/Epidemiology - 1 credit
9) Mentor Program - 0.5 credit
So, a total of 9 classes and 20.5 credits

My class load for Spring Semester:
1) Urinary - 3 credits
2) Pulmonary - 3 credits
3) Cardiovascular - 4 credits
4) Metabolic/Endocrine/Repro - 3 credits
5) Digestive - 3 credits
6) Clinical Skills - 2 credits
7) Health Care Policy - 2 credits
8) Medical Humanities -2 credits
9) Mentor Program - 0.5 credits
So, a total of 9 classes and 22.5 credits.

So, yes. A TON of classes, but I think I'm ready for it! Besides, I am very excited to start PBL (Problem Based Learning). This is the same style of learning that I had while I was abroad in the Netherlands during undergrad, and I still can remember a lot of what I learned abroad...so, I know that PBL works! Basically, how PBL is set up is that we will meet in small groups (of about 8 students) 3 times per week. When we go in, we are handed a made-up patient case. We will be given complete physical exam and medical history work ups and, in our small groups, we will need to brainstorm ideas for diagnosis and treatments. So, it is very self-study-oriented, but if you put the time in, you will remember it...well. It sounds like great preparation not only for boards, but also for 3rd and 4th year rotations!

I start my 2nd year orientation on August 24th...thats coming up WAY too fast. So, for now, thats all I am talking about school! :)

1 comment: