Monday, February 11, 2013

Spirometry Lab

This may be the nerdiest post I have ever written on this blog, but hey... this is who I have become!

I am currently in my Pulmonary Domain, so last week we participated in a Spirometry Lab practical. The lab wasn't required, but was "highly encouraged", since it would help to solidify concepts we have been learning over the last few weeks. So, I thought I would go. While it definitely did help solidify my understanding, I was not anticipating how fun/entertaining the lab would be.

We started off, by assembling our Spirometers. This is a device that is used to test breathing flow/volume. As you inhale and exhale, a computer program will map out exactly how much volume of air you take in or out, and how quickly or slowly you do it. After we assembled the device, we conducted our first phase of our lab. We used the spirometer to measure our normal airflow. We then had the computer make a Flow-Volume Loop graph with this information. Next, we used a straw connected to the spirometer and did the whole thing over again. This was to imitate someone with COPD. Sure enough, the Flow-Volume Loop that we constructed mimicked exactly what we thought would occur with someone with an obstructive condition. FINALLY, we conducted one more round, by tying each other up with scarves so that your chest wall doesn't have much movement. This round was to represent a restrictive disease, like Pulmonary Fibrosis. Sure enough, our lab results again predicted exactly what we thought would occur. Its great when that actually happens haha.





"Pulmonary Fibrosis"

Recording our results

"Normal" Flow-Volume Loop


COPD/"Obstructive" Flow-Volume Loop
 This was a really nice change from book studying. To understand the concepts we are learning in a practical manner and to be able to physically see the results from different changes to the lung, I think that I have developed a good understanding of these pulmonary concepts. Plus, we had lots of laughs and a nice study break!

But now, I have less than 1 week left before my pulmonary final..so I I have got to be getting back to the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment