Sunday, May 13, 2012

24

Yesterday was my 24th birthday. I am old. This was the first birthday in years that I really dreamed of a low key weekend of relaxing at home. I didn't want to go out to bars or have any kind of big party. Instead, I wanted to relax and watch some movies. Again, I am old.

This weekend, all of my medical school friends were gone from EL. So, my birthday was just going to be S and I. On Friday night (May 11th), S called me and told me he had a school thing to do and would not be able to come until the next day. I was so disappointed. Even though I wanted a low-key birthday, I didn't want to be alone on it, thats for sure! So, I hung up the phone, curled into bed and put an episode of Grey's Anatomy on. Less than 30 minutes later, I heard the doorbell ring. I went out and opened it and this was sitting on my doorstep:

My birthday present from S:
1) Beauty and the Beast DVD
2) Stuffed puppy (I REALLY want a puppy)
3) Where the Wild Things Are (My favorite childhood book)
4) A dozen long stemmed roses
5) A diamond necklace

-I am a lucky girl! :) -

It turns out S was lying the whole time..he had no school project, but wanted to surprise me! He also suprised me and told me we had dinner reservations at P. F. Changs in less than an hour. So, I hurried up and quickly got ready and we were off to the restaurant. Oh man is P. F. Changs delicious. We started off with drinks (S had a beer, I had a MaiTai), enjoyed a delicious Calamari appetizer, ate our own entrees (Kung Pow Chicken and Almond/Cashew Chicken) and then had 3 mini-deserts, which are little cakes served in shot glasses (Triple Chocolate, Cheesecake, and Red Velvet Cake). Yes, we were both pretty much obese after this meal...but it was SO good.

At P. F. Changs! 
That night, I thought about going out to a bar, but decided I really wanted to go see the movie "21 Jump Steet." I have always liked Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum (yumm), so I figured it would be pretty good..but I was definitely laughing the whole time..hilarious! After the movie, I again contemplated going to a bar, but decided to go home (yes, old).

The next day, I woke up and S had made me breakfast in bed! He made me a ham, bacon, cheddar, and feta omelet (SO YUM), cinnamon bread, a "breakfast enchilada" and orange juice. Seriously impressed.

Breakfast in Bed! 
After I ate, I watched an episode of my addiction (Grey's) and just hung out at home for a while. For the night time, I really really wanted to go bowling. So, we drove to our nearby alley that we have gone to previously. Unfortunately, we got there and it was CLOSED! What the heck? It wasn't just closed for the night, it was really really closed. Boarded up closed. So, we tried bowling alley #2. It was closed too. This one was not out of business, but it had a sign that said it was closed until the end of August. Rather than driving to any other bowling alleys, we decided to call the other places to see which ones were open. Surprise, ALL CLOSED! Don't people other than us like to go bowling these days???? Guess not. As a backup, we decided to go to another movie: the Avengers! I am not a crazy big comic book movie fan, I did want to see it. In the end, it wasn't my favorite, but it definitely was good.

Iron Man was at the movie theater!
So, 24. My birthday weekend was a great start! It was exactly what I wanted! Now, I need to embrace the last year I have before I'm 25...which is a quarter of a century old...and I think I might have a meltdown! For now, yay 24!

1 comment:

  1. Try 70! Now that is "much older," as I refer to it. When you hit 100, then you're "old" (according to me gauge). Happy birthday, you young kid!

    ReplyDelete