Sunday, February 12, 2012

Science is Cool: Reproductive Edition

Yes, Im a big science nerd...and yes, I find science to be the most interesting topic in the entire world. So, if you share this love, Im sure you have been missing my "science is cool" sections of my blog. Lets face it, I have been too lazy and too pressed for time to share all of my fun little tidbits...BUT, today is the day this changes! "Science is cool" is back!

We are currently on the reproductive unit in physiology, so here are just some more reasons that science is cool:

1) There is a hormone that is released during pregnancy that causes collagen breakdown, leading to dilation of the cervix. Whats interesting about this hormone is that it also loosens bones and joints in the body to prepare for delivery. One of the consequences is the loosening of the calcaneonavicular ligament in the foot, which is one reason for larger post-pardem shoe sizes!

2) The inner-most layer of the uterus (the endometrium) has Spiral arteries. Once a month when a women's estrogen levels decrease, these spiral arteries get constricted and become necrotic. This is one of the lovely reasons why women experience menstrual cramps.

3) Sperm best survive at 2-3 degree lower than the rest of the body's temperature. Whats really interesting is that for a few days before a women' ovulates, her basal body temperature actually drops a bit (to help sperm survival) ... Oh evolution!

Finally, I always talk to people in my histology lab about how I LOVEEE histology images. I just think they are so pretty... I really really really want to blow some up and frame them and have them as artwork in my house! Yes, I know that sounds strange, but if you have not seen what Im talking about, go google image search some pictures of histology slides and see for yourself! For now, I found these really awesome photos that I thought I would share:
Egg coated w/ Zona Pellucida! 

Sperm trying to fertilize an egg! 

*These photos are not mine! Property of Yorgos Nigas, found at http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/images-inside-human-body-images/8292?image=13

2 comments:

  1. OMG NO WAY. My friends used to make fun of me all the time because I talked about wanting to blow up histo slides and frame them. They really are pretty! (Thyroid is probably my favorite)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to go google histology slides and see what they look like...

    ...well they look cool, but I can't say I'd want them up on a wall. hahaha :P

    ReplyDelete